Date: April 15, 2021
Author: Dr. Jennifer Blake
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOGC) released the following statement regarding the alarming situation with pregnant women and individuals with COVID-19 in ICUs in Ontario:
The SOGC calls on the Ontario government and all other provinces to immediately prioritize COVID-19 vaccination for pregnant women and individuals.
All pregnant women and individuals in Canada should be eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
According to SOGC members, there is currently a daily wave of pregnant women and individuals coming into Ontario ICUs, many requiring ventilators. These women and individuals are getting extremely sick, very quickly.
Pregnant women and individuals who have COVID-19 appear more likely to develop respiratory complications requiring intensive care than women and individuals who aren't pregnant. Providing ventilator support in pregnancy is more challenging, and the risks are greater to both mother and child. Pregnant women and individuals with COVID-19 are more likely to have a premature birth and caesarean delivery, and their babies are more likely to be admitted to a neonatal unit.
Tips for pregnant women and individuals:
• To reduce your risk of infection, Limit contact with others as much as possible
• Avoid contact with anyone who has symptoms
• Wear a cloth face mask in public
• Keep about 2 meters of distance between yourself and others beyond your household
• Focus on taking care of yourself and your baby and don’t hesitate to contact your health care providers if you have any concerns about your physical and mental health
For the latest information from the SOGC on COVID-19 and pregnancy, please visit pregnancyinfo.ca/COVID or sogc.org/COVID
For media interview, please contact [email protected]
Read the statement HERE